How to collect / dispose Hazardous waste in London?

Waste Colletion

Hazardous waste: Collect and dispose in London

We operate a household hazardous waste collection, and disposal service for residents on behalf of most of the London boroughs. We only collect wrapped asbestos, and boxed chemicals including paint.

What are the methods to apply for the collection and disposal service?

  1. Online: You can use Hazardous Waste collection Online form.
  2. By phone: 020 7332 3433 (Voicemail service only).
  3. Postal application: It will take much longer to process than 1 or 2.

Hazardous Waste collection

The service is subsidised by your Local Authority. Currently online applications are accepted only from householders. Applications for asbestos collections from Businesses/Landlords/Charities/Schools will not be accepted.

If you’ve anything other than Asbestos sheets/bags or Chemicals for collection, please conatct: 020 7332 3433.

If both an asbestos and chemical collection are required, then you need to complete a separate application for each waste type.

Chemical collections from businesses, charities & schools: 020 7332 3433 to (or) please seek the services of a private contractor.

Household Hazardous Waste

How to contact Hazardous waste team?

Address: City of London Corporation
Hazardous Waste Collection and Disposal Service
Department of the Built Environment, 1st Floor, North Wing, Guildhall PO Box 270, London EC2P 2EJ

Telephone: 020 7332 3433



What items are not collected by London boroughs?

  • Fire extinguishers
  • Explosives including fireworks
  • Beds, sofas, fridges, washing machines etc. (phone your council to arrange a ‘bulky waste’ collection)
  • Electrical waste, eg computers, TVs
  • Clinical waste and sharps
  • Storage heaters
  • Japanese Knotweed
  • Garden/green waste
  • Radioactive waste
  • Cooking oil
  • Pressurised waste, eg aerosols, gas canisters
  • Lightbulbs and fluorescent tubes
  • Plasterboard and general building waste
  • Batteries
  • Polychlorinated biphenyl compounds (PCBs)
  • Flammable film stock

On which area does Hazardous waste not collected from the London Borough?

The following materials cannot be placed into your waste or recycling bins:

  • Hazardous waste
  • Construction / industrial waste
  • Clinical waste.

What is Fly-tipping?

Fly-tipping is the illegal dumping of rubbish or bulky items on land where dumping isn’t allowed. It can be dangerous to human and animal health. Fly-tipping pollutes land and waterways. It’s expensive to clear away fly-tipped rubbish. If you see someone fly-tipping, you should report it to the local council.

What you can do with Fly-tipped waste?

If you see any fly-tipped waste, please don’t:

  1. touch the waste (there may be contaminated waste, syringes, broken glass, asbestos, toxic chemicals or other hazardous substances).
  2. disturb the site (in case there’s evidence that could identify the fly-tippers and lead to their prosecution).

You should:

  • try to work out what the waste is and how much there is
  • note the day, date and time
  • note the waste’s exact location and whether it is in or near water
  • take a photograph and give this to the local council

What should you’ve to do, if you see someone fly-tipping nearby?

  1. how many people are involved and what they look like
  2. what they tipped – how much and what it looks like
  3. information about the vehicles they use including make, colour and registration number.


How to report Fly-tipping or illegal waste dumping in England, Scotland and Wales?

Fly-tipping is the illegal dumping of waste. If you see fly-tipped waste, please report it to your local authority direct. Enter a postcode to find the local council and report fly-tipping.

How to report Fly-tipping or illegal waste dumping in England, Scotland and Wales

How to report hazardous waste and large scale illegal dumping?

You may contact Crimestoppers instead to report about large scale illegal dumping (such as lorries dumping rubbish) and hazardous waste.

You can also report waste crimes, like someone:

  1. deliberately labelling waste incorrectly
  2. running a waste site without a permit, or not following the rules of a permit
  3. someone exporting waste (recycling for Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales).

Household Hazardous Waste, London

How you can report Fly-tipping or illegal waste dumping in Northern Ireland?

Some Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs) are now operating with a restricted service. Check for the latest Covid-19 rules before visiting your local HWRC.

You can report illegal waste activities to the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) Environmental Crime Unit through

Council Address Phone Number Email Hours Website
Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Mossley Mill, Carnmoney Road North
BT36 5QA
United Kingdom
028 9034 0000 Monday – Friday: 8.30am to 5.00pm
Ards and North Down Borough Town Hall, The Castle
BT20 4BT
United Kingdom
0300 013 3333 Monday – Thursday: 9.00am to 5.00pm
Friday: 9.00am to 4.30pm
Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Craigavon Civic and Conference Centre, PO Box 66
Lakeview Road, Craigavon
Co. Armagh
BT64 1AL
United Kingdom
0300 030 0900, 028 3831 2400
Gosford Forest Park manager:
Belfast City  Belfast City Hall
United Kingdom
028 9032 0202, 028 9027 0405 (for deaf and hard of hearing users only)
Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Civic Headquarters, Cloonavin
66 Portstewart Road
BT52 1EY
United Kingdom
028 7034 7034
Fax: 028 7034 7026
Derry City and Strabane District 98 Strand Road
BT48 7NN
United Kingdom
028 7125 3253
Fermanagh and Omagh District Council – Enniskillen Office The Townhall, 2 Townhall Street
Co. Fermanagh
BT74 7BA
United Kingdom
0300 303 1777
Lisburn and Castlereagh City Island Civic Centre, Lagan Valley Island
The Island
BT27 4RL
United Kingdom
028 9244 7300
Mid and East Antrim Borough The Braid, 1-29 Bridge Street
BT43 5EJ
United Kingdom
0300 124 5000
Mid Ulster District Council – Dungannon Dungannon Office, Circular Road
BT71 6DT
United Kingdom
0300 013 2132
Newry, Mourne and Down District District Council Offices, O’Hagan House
Monaghan Row
BT35 8DJ
United Kingdom
Council: 0330 137 4000
Planning: 0300 200 7830

How to report a missed collection in UK?

The Missed collections must be reported within 48 hours of collection day and the crew will return to collect before the next collection day.

Please keep your rubbish and recycling out before 6am on your normal collection day or after 9pm on the evening before.

Report a missed bin collection

How to report a missed collection in UK


  • Your rubbish and recycling bin collection day does not change on or after a bank holiday weekend.
  • Collection days do change at Christmas and New Year.

How to leave your rubbish for collection, if you live in a large block of flats?

If you live in a block of flats or on an estate, you will have a communal bin for your rubbish. Serco, waste management contractor, collects your household refuse weekly or possibly more than once a week.

Communal bins:

You’ve to carry your rubbish down to the bin room, wrap rubbish in bags to keep smells and health risks at a minimum and  place all of your rubbish inside the bins provided.

Rubbish chutes:

Some Blocks have refuse chutes  and it is very important to use them properly because they get blocked easily. Place all rubbish in tied black sacks; Don’t put large or awkward shaped items (such as pizza boxes) down the chute because they may jam it. If you can tear up the item first, do so. Take large items to the bin room.

Timings to use the chute: Between 8am and 8pm to avoid disturbing people living next to it.

Bins overflowing and need a collection, call Cleaner Greener: 0208 753 1100 or Email:

When’ll Bins Cleared after reporting: Emptied within 24 hours

Garchey disposal Systems

There are Garchey disposal systems on some H&F estates. These are sink disposal systems for smaller items. Please make sure you follow the maker’s instructions and take large items to the bin room. Question about chutes or Garchey systems? Contact your local housing office, if you live on an H&F estate, or your managing agent or housing association.

Waste Collection, London

How to book / reuse Bulky Waste Collection?

If you have items for disposal which are too big for the bin you can either book a reuse collection or if items can’t be reused book a bulky waste collection online or by calling the Cleaner Greener Hotline on 020 8753 1100.

Book a Reuse Collection

How can a Residents order an asbestos collection?

The Hazardous Waste Collection and Disposal Service (HWCDS) is a subsidised collection service for London residents in all London Boroughs except in the London Borough of Hillingdon. The waste was collected on wrapped sheets of bonded asbestos or builders’ rubble bags of broken asbestos.

Asbestos Waste collection

What HWCDS do?

  1. Provide One collection per rolling year from your home address.
  2. Collect only asbestos sheets or pieces that have been wrapped individually.
  3. Broken up asbestos will only be taken in builders rubble bags.
  4. Do not test, dismantle or wrap the asbestos for you.
  5. Don’t supply wrapping materials.

How to apply for an Asbestos Collection?

Complete the hazardous waste online form  or if you prefer a form in the post call us on 020 7332 3433.

What information needed, when you complete the form or telephone?

  • Name of the London borough you live in
  • Your full name, address and telephone number
  • The number of pieces and the size of each piece (in metres or centimetres) and/or
  • The number of rubble bags

How should i wrap an asbestos waste?

If you are unsure on any of the storage, handling or packaging instructions, please contact Biffa Waste Services on 01438 759 850 for advice.

Sizable pieces Each piece must be individually wrapped in heavy duty plastic and completely sealed with a strong tape.
Rubble Put the waste into builders rubble bags. Each bag needs to be easily lifted by one person and sealed with a strong tape.

How a Residents arrange a chemical collection (including paint)?

If you are unsure on any of the storage, handling or packaging instructions, please contact Biffa Waste Services on 01438 759 850 for advice.

What does HWCDS do?

  1. You are entitled to three collections per rolling year, but no two collections within 31 days.
  2. After you have your first collection, you may re-apply for your next collection.
  3. Each collection can be up to 50L in capacity (based on the size of the containers, and not their contents).
  4. Chemicals, and paint tins must be put into boxes for collection.

How to apply for a Chemical Collection (including Paint)?

  • You may use the online form or if you prefer a form in the post, contact: 020 7332 3433.

The following information when you complete the form or telephone,

  • Name of the London Borough you live in
  • Your full name, address and Phone number
  • Name of the chemicals; Container number & size

How to Pack your Chemical Waste?

  • The chemicals should be kept in their original containers and put into strong cardboard boxes
  • You can put several items into one box, but each box must be easily lifted by one person

How did Landlords, charities, schools and businesses dispose their wastes?

Asbestos​: Don’t provide a collection of asbestos for landlords, charities or commercial waste. Our collection service is for domestic asbestos collection only, and for the resident of the property where the collection is from. Produce the proof of recent Council Tax payments.

Chemicals: Provide a collection of paint and chemicals. A quote can be supplied on request. You may email the Hazardous Waste Team with a list of the items along with the size of the containers together with the collection address.​

Paperwork and collection

  • When we have your full details in the completed application, we will let our contractors know that you need a collection. You will then be added to the collection waiting list. The service is very busy, and it can take up to ten working days (from receiving your paperwork) for a collection to be arranged.
  • When a collection has been scheduled, our contractor will contact you a few days before the collection date, to let you know when the asbestos will be collected.
  • The contractor divides the collections into areas of London so you will receive a collection when the contractor is next working in your area.

Charges and payment – Applies to Asbestos only

There is no charge for other collections

  1. The first 15sqm of asbestos or seven builders’ rubble bags are collected free of charge, subsidised by your council. There is a charge for a collection over that quantity, which is based on an individual quote dependent on the amount to be collected.
  2. You should use the hazardous waste form (above) to calculate the charge for removing up to 30sqm, and pay online by credit or debit card registered to the collection address although we can provide a quote and take payment by telephone on the number below.
  3. If you have more than this quantity to be collected you need to telephone us on 020 7332 3433 for a quote. You can only pay over the telephone using a credit card registered to the collection address.
  4. Payment must be made before the asbestos can be collected.



Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.