How to File Case in Youth Court, UK?: Procedure, Documents Required

Procedure to File Case in Youth Court

A juvenile court is a particular kind of magistrates’ court reserved for individuals in the 10 to 17 age range.

A juvenile court may consist of:

  • Three magistrates and a district court

A juvenile court does not have a jury.

  • You have to bring your parent or legal guardian:
  • If you are under 16, a court order is granted to you between the ages of 16 and 17.

Step-by-step procedure to file a case

  • It is advisable to discuss any worries or inquiries you may have regarding the proceedings with your lawyer or solicitor prior to the court date. They can assist you in getting ready for the hearing and provide you with advice on what to anticipate.
  • Bring the necessary paperwork when you arrive at the courthouse on the day of the hearing. You could be required to wait in a different area during youth court sessions to reduce interaction with those participating in other courts.
  • You will need to take a religious oath or affirmation if you or your child has to testify in court. Youngsters under the age of 14 will not be required to sign an oath or affirmation, but they will be questioned about whether they know what it means to be honest.
  • Talk to the person who requested the child’s testimony if you are worried about the child testifying in court. In rare situations, a request for special protection for the kid may be filed to the court during the testimony process.
  • Consult your lawyer or solicitor again after the hearing to find out the verdict and any further steps that might be necessary. You might be able to appeal the court’s decision if you don’t agree with it.

Documents Required

  • Passport or driver’s license for identity purposes Paystubs,
  • If the child is employed, and any other pertinent paperwork the court or your attorney may request

What Cases are handled by the Youth court?

A juvenile court handles cases such as:

  • Theft and break-ins, antisocial conduct, drug offenses
  • Serious offenses such as murder or rape begin in juvenile court before moving to a Crown Court.



Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.